The use of solar energy can be used for meeting out various needs of your household. You can also make use of solar energy for cooking your food. There are various benefits of making use of solar energy for cooking. The food that you cook with the solar power tastes good compared to the food that you cook by conventional methods. It is because the food is prepared by the process of slow cooking which retains the original flavor of the food. Here you can know more about the solar cooking and the equipment that can be used for solar cooking.
Solar Cooking Equipment
You may require special cooking equipment for cooking with the help of solar energy. These equipment are designed so it can capture the energy from the sunlight and stores on it.
Solar oven consists of a baking box with reflectors which helps to reflect sunlight to the baking box. The solar oven is adjustable to a certain degree so that it achieves maximum exposure. It is possible to generate a maximum of 250 Fahrenheit with the help of a solar oven. This temperature is sufficient for baking cakes, cookies, etc. You can also make use of a solar oven to reheat your food.
You can make use of solar oven during the summer to prepare lunch and dinner. By making use of the solar oven, you can reduce the use of conventional cooking fuel like gas, wood, charcoal, etc. It is possible to maximize the heat of the solar oven by placing it at the right position of the sunlight.
Making Of A Solar Cooker
A solar cooker is simple DIY cooking equipment which you can make use of for cooking your meal. You may require a small cardboard box for the making of a solar cooker. Cover the base with black construction material and the sides with foil. Now you may need a larger box and place the smaller box into it. Pack some newspapers in between the boxes which serve as insulation. Now make use of a foil to cover the flap of the larger box. This acts as the reflector for the solar cooker. Now place a glass on the box. Adjust the reflector based on the amount of sunlight.
Pros And Cons Of Solar Cooking
There are several advantages and disadvantages of solar cooking
- The food tastes good as it is slow cooked and retains the original flavor.
- There is no need of expensive conventional fuel for cooking
- Solar cookers and solar ovens are portable.
- It is an environmentally friendly option of cooking as you do not pollute the atmosphere.
- It is not a reliable source of cooking as you cannot perform solar cooking during the rainy season.
- The cooking time is more compared to that of the conventional cooking process.
- It is impossible for the food cooked using solar energy to retain its heat.
- The above are the various things that you should know about solar cooking.